Entering the gym can be the best feeling in the world, a world that many dont understand!!! Having time to compete with only yourself thrives us on. Fighting battles with oneself is what we live for, with the only goal to keep on pushing harder and harder, to keep getting stronger and stronger, while achieving goals over and over…this is what we do down at S&P
So here are my top tips to think about before, during and after training.
1. Make sure you have a training plan before you start your session.
2. Are you in the right frame of mind to train, if not why not – clear your head.
3. Have you taken your pre-workout drink (if needed), mine is a coffee.
4. If your ill and run down then don’t train, rest is what you need right now.
5. If you cant be bothered to train, then get to the gym and you will soon want to throw some iron around. Just watching people push themselves is a big enough stimulus to kick your lazy a** into gear.
6. If you get to the gym and feel like lifting another weight will break you then listen to your body, and dont train, your body never lies. Foam rolling and stretching is a better option.
7. If you get caught in traffic on the way to the gym, dont skip your warm ups, skip the guns at the end of the session.
8. Knowing why you are training will motivate you.
9. Dont let other people distract you while training, chat before and after, not during.
10. Know your PR’s in the big lifts, whether this is a 1rm, 2rm, 3rm, 4rm, 5rm, 6rm, 7rm, 8rm, 9rm, 10rm and so on. Have a target to aim for.
11. Assistance work is just that – assistance work. You have to know when to push and when not to push.
12. Dont forget reps can get you stronger.
13. Mobility exercises will save you getting injuries.
14. Do exercises that you dont like doing. There is a reason why you dont like them, because they are hard.
15. If you have a tight muscle, then stretch it, even if it is the muscle you maybe training.
16. On the same note, wake up the muscles that dont want to work through activation exercises.
17. Chat to people while you stretch and foam roll.
18. Dont cheat on exercises so you can push more weight. A small deadlift done with perfect form gets more respect than a big deadlift done with bad form, remember this.
19. Who cares how much you bench, what else can you do?
20. Have you drank your during shake?
21. Stretch during your rest periods.
22. Are you training as hard as you can, its only one hour, what have you done for the other 23?
23. Is the music loud enough? Or do you need a certain genre to get you fired up?
24. Just because you feel sick, does not mean that you have had an awesome session. The best sessions are when you leave hungry for more.
25. Do you need to rollout or stretch after your session? If so, then do it.
26. Do you know what you are having post workout? meal or shake? If not, why not?
27. Did you put all your weights back? Respect the gym.
28. Do you know when you are training next?
29. Have you filled in your training diary?
30. What are you planning on doing for your recovery, ice baths, contrast showers, massage sports therapy?
What else do you think about before, during and after training, comment below
Until next time
Lift Big & Get Strong